A Tisket A Tasket Green Baskets and Flowers – Lorain Depression Glass

I recently went antiquing and found this wonderful set of Lorain green depression glass.  I couldn’t wait to see how it looked on a table.

What do you think?  A winner?

Lorain Basket Green Depression Glass

Lorain Basket Green Depression Glass

I like the basket design and the square shapes and the interesting tumblers and cups. It seemed perfect for Tablescape Thursday with our hostess Susan from Between Naps on the Porch.

Lorain Basket Green Depression Glass

Lorain Basket Green Depression Glass

This is a beautiful pattern with an Art Deco look.  See how the tumbler has a stair step square foot?  That reminds me of the 1930s sky scrapers with the stepped look.

Lorain Basket Green Depression Glass

Lorain Basket Green Depression Glass

Here’s a view from the other side so you can see the neat 4-part relish dish.  I love the scalloped rim and tab handles.  It looks great.

Lorain Basket Green Depression Glass

Lorain Basket Green Depression Glass

I wouldn’t say Lorain is rare exactly, but it isn’t well known and Indiana made it for only three years, 1929 to 1932.  You don’t see much of it.  Indiana made it in green, yellow and some clear and clear with colored rims.  The yellow is a soft clear pretty yellow.  You can imagine how fresh and springy this looks with the beautiful baskets of flowers in springtime green or yellow glass.  So cheerful.

Lorain Basket Etched Green Depression Glass

Lorain Basket Etched Green Depression Glass

Like other Indiana depression glass patterns Lorain often has extra glass on the mold seams.  Even when there is no damage the extra glass is uneven and thin so it feels rough.  In other words, this was mass produced and the maker wasn’t too picky.  That’s something to consider when you purchase glass:  Depression glass isn’t going to be superior quality and there will be some mold blobs and straw marks.  I find these small imperfections part of the charm.

Lorain Basket Etched Green Depression Glass

Lorain Basket Etched Green Depression Glass

Next time  you want a bountiful basket of flowers think of Lorain green depression glass.

If you want to recreate this look we have Lorain green depression glass in our store Cat Lady Kate’s Elegant and Depression Glass and in our eBay store Vintage Elegant Depression Glass.

Be Sociable, Share!

Comments

1. says

How pretty! I have a few pieces of green depression glass that was my mom’s, and maybe her mom’s. I’ll have to ask! Nice find! Dropping by from BNOTP.

Allison
    Atticmag

• says

I haven’t even tried to find out its worth. Sometimes Tom will say, We should sell that and then we look at each other and just go uistaprs. It seems like a lot of work for probably very little money. And then, there’s the thought that it’s been in this house for maybe a hundred years, you know? Who are we to sell it? Sigh.

2. says

What a find. It is lovely. I’m going to be on the lookout for the yellow. I enjoy your posts so much. I love depression glass. Probably because I remember my grandmother telling me it was in soap, cereal (oatmeal wasn’t it), and at movie theaters. Ahhh, the days when dishware came along with some staple!

• says

#Michelle // January 22, 2010 at 10:15 pmjbjd-you are a juris dootcr correct? Would that mean that you teach lawyers? even though you are not currently doing that.*********************************************************Michelle,No; JD is just the abbreviation of my graduate degree, which is a Juris Doctor. So, I graduated from a 4-year college with a BA, and then from a 3-year law school, with a JD.

• says

Hi KeshauniaThank you for supporting my work and I’m glad you are enjnyiog my Divas series.As an aspiring author I always suggest that you put double the time into marketing and promoting as you do writing the book. It’s awesome to have penned a great book, but not so awesome when nobody knows about it.

• says

aja // January 22, 2010 at 5:39 pm To Don in California I think that if Obummer is found ineligible the perisdency goes to the next highest vote getter which would be Mc Cain and Palin. No, the last election is over and done with. The next in line is biden, then pelosi, then senate appointment till another election. There may be another one after pelosi, I won’t say that there isn’t.I’m not sure at this point that I would want mccain as President anyway. If we could bypass him and seat Palin, then I would go for it.

• says

To Don in California I think that if Obummer is found ineligible the pedciernsy goes to the next highest vote getter which would be Mc Cain and Palin.The second sernario I have read is George W would be brought back and a new election must be held. I don’t know if these are true, also the biden senario would only be if obummer was impeached , if found ineligibe no need for impeachment. A lot of this was on Leo’s site.

• says

pmThank you for the info. I know that you are very well schooled in the fine ponits and nuances of the law. We must have some of the most frustrated lawyers working on this Obama thing, I think many are in the background assisting, must drive them nuts that this is coming from a South Side Hood. Who taught us best about THE FIFTH, the mob guys?Not fun sometimes but it is the law, and it is their right to invoke.

3. says

Your table is beautiful. I envision having time travelling back to havingg teatime in a large department store or skyscraper back inthe 1930 and 40s. The green is my fav too. I have my grandmother’s decagon glass..I must share with you soon. Thank you for sharing!! Dianna

4. Daniel says

Dear Kate
    You probably already know this but I thought I would tell you just in case, That these are Radioactive with Uranium and that the EPA recommends that you do not let yourself be exposed to them for long periods of time or eat or drink from them.

• says

Patriot Dreamer They do have a list of succession for eeectld Officials Per Death, Impeachment, but it all goes away if someone is eeectld by fraud, which would also list Nancy Pelosi with Fraud and eliminate her. There also is a lawsuit against Hillary Clinton on her present position as S Of S. Per Law, if you serve in a position where a raise has been voted on by you, that makes you ineligible to be appointed to that position for one year after the raise, therefore Due to Fraud, the previous President would come back in office until an Election could be held.

5. says

Don, you are right about a new election, sholud Obummer be removed. Now that Obummer’s bubble has burst it’s time to deluge everyone in Congress with letters demanding he prove his eligibility. Who knows, with everyone pissed off in Congress, there just might be someone brave enough to demand his birth certificate. They are running scared at present, never know, it might work with threats of them losing their job.